Wednesday, February 27

New EP from Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies


Chapel Hill, North Carolina, popsters Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies were one of my highlights from Athens Popfest '07, and they're on my radar again with a forthcoming EP. Due on March 25 from Holidays for Quince Records, EP I is a pretty sweet collection of mod-flavored pop. These cats and kittens know their way around a pop hook, and the songs rely as much on raw enthusiasm as vintage organs and handclaps. That, as you might guess, is a lot.

Astute readers will note that "Can You Dig It?" was a blog sensation in 2007, with this blog and others touting it as pristine pop. Here it is accompanied by the almost too-cute "Candyland" and herky-jerky "Make My Day," as well as the irresistible "Serva Ad Manum" and "Double Axe." The latter's guitar-driven second half is almost shocking after what precedes it, but provides an appropriately raucous conclusion.

Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies - EP I

1. Can You Dig It?
2. Candyland
3. Make My Day
4. Serva Ad Manum
5. Double Axe

I'm told the band is hoping to visit Atlanta/Athens again in the near future, and I'll be looking forward to it. For more on the band, see their Myspace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home